What is Myofunctional Therapy used for?
Myofunctional therapy is used to treat Orofacial Myofunctional Disorder (OMD). OMD is the improper function of the muscles in the face and movement of your tongue when you talk, swallow, or even when it is at rest. Contrary to popular belief, this disorder is not only found in children but is quite common in teens and adults as well.
What is Orafacial Myofunctional Disorder?
Orofacial Myofunctional Disorder develops when you have poor nasal breathing habits and have a tendency to breathe more through your mouth. When your facial muscles adapt to this improper breathing pattern, this creates OMD.
Orafacial Myofunctional Disorder Symptoms
several symptoms that indicate an adult or child has OMD, include, but are not limited to:
- Lisp or other speech impediments
- A baby that cannot breast feed and/or latch to the nipple
- Clenching or grinding
- Snoring or Sleep Apnea
- Tongue Tied
- Braces or have had braces
- Thumb sucking or another oral habit (blanket, finger sucking. Pencil biting. Nail biting)
- Slouching or forward head posture
- Open bite, a deep bite, or other dental abnormalities
- Tongue thrust or the continuous movement of the tongue between the teeth or against them when talking or swallowing
- Continuous open mouth position
How doesMyofunctional Therapy work?
Myofunctional Therapy is an exercise based treatment that trains patients in proper tongue placement, breathing, speaking, chewing, and swallowing. The exercises are painless and relatively simple, with the goal of making certain that muscles of the face are activated and muscles, such as the tongue, are in proper coordination with the facial muscles. If you detect any of these symptoms in yourself or in your child it is critical that you immediately consult an expert. Early consultation ensures that treatment, if necessary, can be started at its earliest therefore the best outcomes can be achieved, and correction of poor habits can be changed at once and new healthy habits can be implemented.
Schedule a consultation
For more information on the best dental procedure for you, Call Sullivan Dental Center today at 225-635-4422 to schedule a consultation and find out more about the services we offer.